Monday 25 February 2013

Why the Wolf




Today I will go on a more personal note because I want to answer the question people ask me constantly. Why choose the wolf? Although I am still studying my undergraduate and don't have any official plans, my main focus is either wolf research or orca research or both. Carnivore research/conservation really interests me  but I prefer to specialize on wolves and orca. So when people ask me why choose the wolf I find myself wondering. I still haven't seen that animal in the wild. So why choose it?
I could tell you that I have some sort of connection with the animal, I could tell you that I admire the animal and that it fascinates me and I wouldn't be lying. Instead I want to say that it's not merely that. There is an aura of wilderness that surrounds the wolf. It's reintroduction to Yellowstone and the number increase in the United States represents one of the most successful conservation stories in the world. The findings from the ongoing research on wolves managed to change the wolf's image from a feral, demonic, bloodthirsty animal that would attack on sight to one of a species key to an ecosystem, a loyal family member and shaper of habitats. This alone fascinates me. The way in which the view for such animal changed in a span of ten to twenty years is alone enough to intrigue me and make me want to study this animal.
The wolf for me also represents intolerance and the clash in the West. I am not from the United States and I have never heard our farmers and ranchers complain about predators so when I first heard of  people complaining for an animal causing that much trouble in the livestock industry I began researching it. Despite the wolf taking very few livestock every year it finds itself in the crosshair of ranchers and hunters who seek to blame the wolf, the bears and the cats for livestock depredation. Hunters claim that the elk, deer and mouse have been declining in numbers and blame the wolf. It's all about the intrinsic politics, the interest in states to side with conservationists or hunters/ranchers ( basically where the money and favors lay) which also interesting seeing as an animal can have that big impact in society. People rally to the banners of conservationists and wolf lovers while hunters and ranchers try to defend their own rights. Few things have brought such as schism in modern society than the love and hatred of predators.  
Mainly however it is the animal itself. There is something about the wolf. A social animal and an efficient hunter it can bring down animals on their own. However it does a lot better forming packs, sacrificing mating rights and perhaps risking eating less for social contact and comfort. Although a lot of things can be explained by genetics, physiology etc I am more intrigued by the brain of the wolf. The fact that the whole pack rejoices when wolf pups are born and they come out to play. The fact that the pack tolerates these pups playing, protects them and will even protect older members in some cases when they cannot hunt.  There is something sentient about that, something sentient that cannot be denied by people who observe the wolf. It is why people, including myself are so intrigued to watch documentaries and hear stories about wolf packs and feel happy or sad when events occur.
Although I have love for all the animals around, the wolf is one of those animals that managed to win me over, to make me want to defend it, study it and watch it roam free and wild where it should be and that is why I choose the wolf.

No comments:

Post a Comment